• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Advice on A FO/ES sorc

tmd turka

Aug 2, 2005
Advice on A FO/ES sorc

Hi all

I never posted before so this will be a first for me. I wanted to know the stat point setup for a FO/ES sorc build. Keep in mind Im not a rich player so I wont have the gear to sacrafice frozen orbs synergy if I hope to do damage. I thought I could put 150 to strength for a spirit monarch, rest into energy, and none into vitalitiy. Im just worried that with a maxed TK and an ES with only around 75% absorb I will die due to lack of health. Please give me your advice on this build I really need some help.

Current Skill Setup (Assuming I reach lvl 85)

20 Ice Bolt
20 Frozen Orb
20 Cold Mastery
20 Telekinesis
11 Eshield (5 from leveling + 6 from quests)
1 into warmth
1 into all pre reqs

Current Stat Setup
strength-150
dex-base
vit-base
energy-rest

chubbypuppy

Dec 2, 2003
tmd turka said:
20 Ice Bolt
20 Frozen Orb
20 Cold Mastery
20 Telekinesis
1 into warmth
1 into all pre reqs

For this you need 64 cold points, 35 lightning point, 1 fire point for a total of 100. Level 85 gives you 96 points including quests, so you will need to be level 89 for all of this.

Why do you need 150 str btw? Seems a bit high and unneeded unless you are going for 4soc monarch. Even if that's true, some eq should help you along the way to get some str points.

I personally also like to max block. 40-50% to completely block a physical attack is just too good for me, but this is a personal preference since 200 more points into energy makes a fat blue bulb as well :)

tmd turka

Aug 2, 2005
Why do you need 150 str btw? Seems a bit high and unneeded unless you are going for 4soc monarch. Even if that's true, some eq should help you along the way to get some str points.

To answer you yes I am going for a Monarch and I didn't see any point in using dex since a good e-shield should be just as effective. I also really wanted to know if i could live off base vit but have high mana with a lvl 11 e-shield.

GkT

Banned
Jul 30, 2005
tmd turka said:

To answer you yes I am going for a Monarch and I didn't see any point in using dex since a good e-shield should be just as effective. I also really wanted to know if i could live off base vit but have high mana with a lvl 11 e-shield.
Whistan's>Spirit or any other shield-my opinion.

Without Block, Chargers and all, yes all WW Barbs will be able to crush you without any Absorb, just Max'd Resists.

Just don't put any points in Vit, get a 8-9 ES Memory Staff. You should be okay and get 10 Lightning GCs if you still can't get Lvl 40 ES.

luis19

Mar 28, 2004
most people dont have the resist to stack vs cold mastery so that is almost never a factor.

a good orber can rely on no block and all energy. eitherway, OW on ww barbs will still eat you alive, you're best bet is to not get hit.
block = less mana = u die faster to everything you dont need block for.
whistans = only good for blocking so no other good mods.
the mods on spirit will probably make up for the points you put in strength, but 150 base is way too excessive.
subtract anni, boots, possibly fcr rings with strength, and an ammy with strength.

AndyChrono

Sep 10, 2003
California, USA
tmd turka said:
Hi all

I never posted before so this will be a first for me. I wanted to know the stat point setup for a FO/ES sorc build. Keep in mind Im not a rich player so I wont have the gear to sacrafice frozen orbs synergy if I hope to do damage. I thought I could put 150 to strength for a spirit monarch, rest into energy, and none into vitalitiy. Im just worried that with a maxed TK and an ES with only around 75% absorb I will die due to lack of health. Please give me your advice on this build I really need some help.

20 Ice Bolt
20 Frozen Orb
20 Cold Mastery
20 Telekinesis
1 into warmth
1 into all pre reqs

Current Stat Setup
strength-150
dex-base
vit-base
energy-rest

In all seriousness, it's probably better to not make FO/ES sorcs for PvP unless you are at least moderately rich. You'll have too little life, mana, and damage to be competitive.

tmd turka

Aug 2, 2005
AndyChrono said:
In all seriousness, it's probably better to not make FO/ES sorcs for PvP unless you are at least moderately rich. You'll have too little life, mana, and damage to be competitive.

I dont have good gear yet but i may somewhere down the line i really just wanted to know what strength my sorc needed for spirit and if my skills were setup correctly beyond that I dont care. Also i wanted to know if it was wise to invest more into eshield and less into frozen orb.

AndyChrono

Sep 10, 2003
California, USA
tmd turka said:
I dont have good gear yet but i may somewhere down the line i really just wanted to know what strength my sorc needed for spirit and if my skills were setup correctly beyond that I dont care. Also i wanted to know if it was wise to invest more into eshield and less into frozen orb.

If you're really set on making one, you'll ultimately have to choose between damage and durability. You should ALWAYS max these first for FO/ES.

Telekinesis
Frozen Orb
Cold Mastery

After that you can choose what you want. If you want more damage than max Ice Bolt before finishing out ES. If you want more durability then max ES before finishing out Ice Bolt. It's generally good to get 1 point in Warmth. I like have 1 point in Static Field for PvM purposes like rushing. Either way you are looking at a very high level build. Unless you plan on leveling to 99, you'll probably end up with only 10 base in either ES or IB.

As for Spirit, calculate your strength from other items and then get just enough to wear it.

XXVII

Jul 20, 2005
So you posted here and in the sorc forum? Take a look there too, cause I replied.

The long arguement with block or non can be answered like this. If your good at tele and feel confident then go no block. If you tele randomly and dont know what your doing and get hit, go block. As for the 150 in str, look in the sorc forum and read my reply. If you decide to go max block, then use whistans. Also, there are so many threads on ES/Orb sorces, that you should look at them.

Denis

tmd turka

Aug 2, 2005
AndyChrono said:
If you're really set on making one, you'll ultimately have to choose between damage and durability. You should ALWAYS max these first for FO/ES.

Telekinesis
Frozen Orb
Cold Mastery

After that you can choose what you want. If you want more damage than max Ice Bolt before finishing out ES. If you want more durability then max ES before finishing out Ice Bolt. It's generally good to get 1 point in Warmth. I like have 1 point in Static Field for PvM purposes like rushing. Either way you are looking at a very high level build. Unless you plan on leveling to 99, you'll probably end up with only 10 base in either ES or IB.

As for Spirit, calculate your strength from other items and then get just enough to wear it.

Ok after reading all this i decided to alter my build a little. First i realize now that 150 is way too much strength and i can probably get monarch with 100 or less strength with the correct gear and a strength charm or 2. Second my skills will now be as follows......

Telekinesis-Max
Cold Mastery-Max
Frozen Orb-Max
Energyshield-Max
Ice bolt-rest

I did the math and the little bit of difference between a lvl 10 synergy for orb and a lvl 20 is not that much compared to all the absorb I would lose by not having e-shield maxed.

Through this whole thread i never told you guys what gear i planed on getting and that was a mistake but I will tell you that ill have at least 10 to all skills and a night wings helm possibly an ormus.

Thanks to all those who helped me especially AndyChrono since his advice was by far the most helpful.

chocolate31s

Aug 28, 2004
I've built 2 FO/ES sorc, and this build is my personal favourite.

Anyway, what dmg are u hoping to achieve with ur orb? IMO to be effective in pvp at least 1k dmg is needed. Also u mind posting ur gear aswell, coz i think having at least 105fcr is crucial in most duels to keep u from being hit and u really need to practice tele/aiming with this build. Orb is too slow in pvp, and most dmg is done at that single point when it explode, so much exprience is required to guess opponents next position. I'd go full energy base dex and vit anyday if ur aiming to have 95% ES, u'd be amaze how much dmg is actually absorbed by ES. Besides having more mana means more mana pts are regenerated every sec = more punishment u can take.
Finally, gear with dmg or magic absorb ie. spirit is a great help to FO/ES sorc.

necrotica

Aug 14, 2005
Since you're rich you should not have problems getting at least a 50 str bonus from inventory ( anni, torch, cold gcs with +6 str ), if you will use mara's then that's another 5 stat points, 20 for coh, or 60+for enigma, thats up to you. If you will use a coh you should have at least +80 str bonus from everything so you need around 50 str for ss or about 10-20 if you'll use enigma. Dont waste stats on str!

btw....make a blizz sorc....more dmg and you dont need to be that close to someone.