• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Advice needed : Talon/Fury Poorman.

haryon

May 16, 2004
Advice needed : Talon/Fury Poorman.

Hi, I used to play a lot diablo in the 1.07-1.09, stopped when 1.10 came out, and went back very recently. I don't play often (I work boys ;)). All of that to say : I love to make builds, but I'm so poor that I can't afford the top gears, and there is no reason that will change. This also means I'm totally untwinked :)

I think I'll try a Dagon Talon / Blade Fury build. I would like some advice on viability and maybe points of interest and flaws I missed out.

Basics :
Dragon Talon : 18+.
Blade Fury : 1.
Shadow Master : 5+.
Fade : 5+.
Cloak of Shadow : 1.
Mind Blast : 1.

DT+Fury because : both do not require claws, and leave my gear choices open. Cheap early gear : Strength, then Crescent Moon should be affordable (if a Um fall). Both transfert about the same mods : chance to cast, leech, cb, elemental damage (on every kick). Fury damage will be weapon damage. So Str/Dex will be required to equip good weapons. Neither DT nor Fury breaks weapon, so Etheral can be used (without zod) to increase damage. Etheral Bartuc can still be possible if I get extremly lucky :)

I'll be using a Shield (only first claw - ahem weapon - is used for Fury and DT speeds). Means higher Resist Alls (cheap : diamonds, Ryhtme or RalOrtTal).

Str : 200ish
Dex : 200+ (max block I believe)
Vit : rest
Ene : nada

I'll be using Fade over BoS, except maybe in same areas, because it's a cheap way to get resists, PDR, and it comes with curse length (I laughted a lot when I saw Experience Shrines were considered Curses !).

This leaves me with a lot of room for secondary type of damage. So most probably LS/DS. DS is nice for groups, but it's 50% Physical just like Talon and Fury :(. So LS would be a priority. Weapon switch with high elemental damage weapon, Tiamat if luck shines on me or a high chance to cast a high elemental damage spell (Crescent Moon :)) would (try and) take care of PI. At least 1 DS anyway for corpse disposal.

I'll be playing in groups of 2 to 5 max. So no need for a 8-solo-hell-able build :). Fun is rather a priority, and DT and Fury are 2 skills that I never used before (kinda suck in those old times), and from what I read people tends to consider them quite fun.

Problems I expect :
- quite dependent on gear.
Needs IAS (Talon). Needs CB (Goblin Toe is cheap, but low damage for Talon, Gore Rider if I am lucky. Guillaume I think is droppable even by a poor guy like me). Needs LL and ML (no Cobra since no claw and low ar - will have to pray that rare amu/rings drop often and cute). And need PI fallback.

- Possibly low AR.
Seems Fury needs heavy AR, and it can't hurt to have more on DT. 200ish Dex is already there for Dex, so I will have some AR but will it be enough ? ITD doesn't work on bosses, and I will want to use DT on them right ? Would a blessed aim merc help ? but since they died usually against bosses especially without Defiance or Holy Freeze that's more than sure to happen. I know I'll be grouping at least with a Strafeazon, so Blessed Aim wouldn't be a waste.

- Will need good boots : CB AND high damage. This means Gore Riders upgraded, and I don't have it. And I might even play in non-ladder (my friends already have caracters, non-ladder due to the reset, and they might want to twink a bit and could vote against ladder).

Questions :
- SM 5 or 20 ?
- Fade 5 or 20 ? (20 = 20% pdr and I have NO pdr gear at all yet, also helps a lot vs Cursed bosses)
- LS or Fire trap ? Inferno or WoF ? Inferno I heard is bugged, but didn't understand how exactly.

Thanks a lot for your advices.

BatTheMan

Aug 2, 2005
montreal
:thumbsup: to you for going this build I've come to love. I posted a thread like this but got no feedback so I'll feed back you :).
I tried this as a first HCL char and she does great so far Act 5 nm lvl 76. I plan on venturing in Hell soon. Mine goes along does lines:

20 DTalon
20 Fade
20 MindBlast (In matters of second you can convert a whole army!)
1 BFury

I find that if you want to put in the traps put 20 in death sentry and some in fireblast(increase number of shots from DS). I'll either end my build with more in CoS if I see things get too hot in hell and Venom or DeathSentry if Open wound doesn't cut it. I got a merce so I don't need shadow master.

Pretty I've get pretty lucky with MF in nm Pindle and Eldritch with about 240 mf. I've gotten:
Guillaume IK Boot and IST!
My Friend lend me a tucs claw also.
Ist will get me far I think in terms of trade or I can make a Delirium (got lem from nm Hellforge)
If you play ladder you can pretty decent item if you trade your hellforge drops (highest um I think). For belt and glove i got Sig(30 ias 10 LL) For ar problem I
suggest getting Angelic ammy + ring and or pumping CoS a little more lvl 20 (-95%def). With maxing block you pump dex so there shouldn't be aproblem.
I find myself using DTalon more than BFury right now unless when it's stuff like stygian dolls or I'm IMed or FE monsters.

As for you going LS/DS I have nothing against that, but you'll look pretty bad when playing with pure trappers. An option would be try get almost all synergie from LS get DTalon to 18(with +skills). Don't get Shadow get a good tank merce +1 in fade depending. Buy some x2 +3 trap claw in hell anya and switch to lay traps then switch back to BFury them
and finish off with DTalon . And 1 in Bfury of course. So now you'll 3 deadly skills to juggle with. Try finding balance between LL Crushing Blow and Max resist might be hard tho. (without max fade cuz you pump LS synergie remember). If mana becomes a problem make an Insight Polearm for your merce (I know Ladder only, you should really play it your starting anyway ;) ).

Good Luck sorry about the unorganizeness of my post im in a hurry at work.

phool

Apr 27, 2005
uk
BatTheMan said:
Ist will get me far I think in terms of trade or I can make a Delirium (got lem from nm Hellforge)
congratulations, but i really really really wouldn't do that for the build you've described - with CoS ctc confuse isn't wasted, leaving the only good mods being +3xx def and +2 skills. For an ist you can currently get a shako, which would suit the build a lot better (not that I'm saying you should do that). IMO delirium is worth its price only for a strafezon.

haryon

May 16, 2004
Thanks for the answer. I started to feel like there would be only elitist people on there, that only swore by Dream, Phoenix, Dragon and other Breath of the Dying, and that's pretty annoying :)

Well, from readings a bit every where, I'm pretty sure I'll pump Fade to 20. It also seems that 200 str is too much, that an etheral cryptic crescent moon should be affordable, so I should aim for that str max.

For CoS, I don't know. -95% is extremly good, but : does it work on bosses ? don't think so. And can I recast it at will ? no, I have to wait. So I guess Angelics will be my way-to-go.

For Mind Blast, 5 sec stun that's awesome, but 33% convert, yuk ! that's a bit too much I think. my wife is gonna hate me if I turn all her targets to me :)

I'm pretty sure I'll go with a master, and I am still considering Blessed Aim boy. Master will cast MB, and CoS by himself, that should protect Blessed Aim dude enough. Don't know yet. I would hate if he die when I need him most, i.e. when facing tough mobs, i.e. when mercs die anyway :)

I don't get the point with adding extra shots to the DS trap. I won't be as good as a trapper that's sure, and I won't put trap-claws on switch, cause i'm not fond of switching in mid combat to change arms. I would end up in a LEB path without my shield just because I hit W a bit too much or not enough :). With some elemental weapon with BF, or elemental fast spear on merc, maybe I can go with DS 20 and nothing in LS, and survive ? I think I'll also test Venom, since I can have venom and fade at the same time, and I never used venom before.

more or less along those priorities :
Talon 18+
BF 1
CoS 1+
MB 1
Master 5+
Venom 20
DS 20
Fade 20
then finish the +s ?

Hell Forge is Um max ? arg, that's tough. What's best place to hunt for runes then ?

-Ferro-

Jun 25, 2003
Around my PC, actually.
Visit site
haryon said:
Hell Forge is Um max ? arg, that's tough. What's best place to hunt for runes then ?

Is not. Um is on normal, I think. In Nm Ive got up to ist, and you can get higer too. In hell u can get any rune. Anyway, best place to get runes are countess for low-medium ones. For high runes, Chaos sanctuary is the best place if you ask me, but be carefull with iron maidon from Oblivion Knights :p . Don expect one HR every 20 runs neither.

Edit. For a kicker, venom is the only real source of damage. You should max it no matter how. Is much better maxing this than Dtalon, which gives poor physical damage. Max venom and try to get trangh-goul gloves, which boost venom damage so much, and are cheap. If u are to use dual claw, placing 1-5 points on weapon block is very usefull.

phool

Apr 27, 2005
uk
-Ferro- said:
Is not. Um is on normal, I think. In Nm Ive got up to ist, and you can get higer too. In hell u can get any rune.

I'm quite certain this is not the case - I think um is the best on nm, I'm sure gul is the best on hell, and I've no idea what the best is in normal but I've definately never had better than an amn - and that's after a LOT of destroyed soulstones.