• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Advice Needed... Critique of Pally to Solo Uber 3... Please Advise =)

barbowns

Dec 9, 2003
Advice Needed... Critique of Pally to Solo Uber 3... Please Advise =)

Ok,

So I've been mfin my *** off all week on ladder with my sorc and think I finally have a good base of items to start building my pally off of.

Helm = Guillaumes Face (sp?)

Armor = ShartStop

Boots = GoreRiders or Goblin Toes (not sure which to pick)

Belt = String of Ears

Gloves = Drac's

Wep = Still up in the air. Stormlash maybe? Grief needed?

Sheild = Still up in the air.

Suggestions on existing equipment changes, hopefully this will suit me to solo the ubers? Advice on cheapest wep/sheild that can solo the uber 3 as a smiter?

I've been planning on making a smiter, but now I'm almost starting to lean towards a zealer. I'd rather play a zealer, but the most important factor is the ability to solo the uber's with the most attainable gear possible. Advice? opinions? Not sure what wep I would need to get the job done zealing.

barbowns

Dec 9, 2003
gohanthemystic said:
weapon... hmm... you could always go with the 'Black' Rune word... it has crushing blow

Shield... if you can't get zak or exile.. rares with +skills... and resists..

So in your opinion I should be able to SOLO the uber's with the equipment listed...?

I'm nervous about my equipment, although it's pretty decent for ladder, it seems that most others on NL who are solo'in the uber's have MUCH better stuff.

barbowns

Dec 9, 2003
gohanthemystic said:
Going with zeal...with 80ish CB and life tap you should be good... um... not sure about resists tho.. you'll definately need awesome fire and lightning resists... other than that... looks good..

so Zeal > Smite in your opinion? Is AR going to be a concern?

No clue on what good zeal wep I could get, part of smite's beauty is that the wep doesn't matter that much right?

I'll def. try to get as close to max resist as possible.

I'm really sorry for all the noob questions, never played a pally before =)

Sep 3, 2004
you need +all res or w/e res sc's you need and PUMP THEM UP...

angelic ring/ring/amulet combo will solve any AR problems..

CJ :clap:

Alywin

Jun 22, 2003
Hong Kong
Visit site
gohanthemystic said:
weapon... hmm... you could always go with the 'Black' Rune word... it has crushing blow

Black is truly an inexpensive source of crushing blow, but when the ubers are down to around 1/2 to 1/4 life, you need a high damage weapon to finish them off. I suppose a "black" zerker or whatever elite weapon cannot do that. I personally just use one of the unique legendary mallet, the stone crusher, which should be cheap enough. I suppose Heaven's Light, one of the unique mighty scepter, if fairly socketed, should also do well.

For shield, if you choose the way as zealot, I recommend you to use HoZ. You don't need to worry about the chance of triggering life tap curse without exile (I don't have one actually - too poor : P), if you bring a wand or dagger with life tap charges to use on them initially. Your draculs suffices to trigger subsequent curses, if you zeal.

AR is not a problem to me, as I use quite some +skill items and charms so that my fanatism and zeal are Lv33. I choose Mara + Raven Frost (a must for CBF, unless you are rich enough to CHAM some armour) + any other ring depending on your target (Dwarf Star, Wisp Projector, Good rare ring). I never use Angelic's set for AR personally. But this depends on your overall equipment.

Finally, resist, resist, resist. Your equipment now seem to lack resistance.

I have just 10% PDR to deal with the ubers. I don't see it is a must.

Good luck.

k/t

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Just two questions about this:

Does Smite give you life when the monsters are Life Tapped?

Fanaticism increases Smite damage, right?

barbowns

Dec 9, 2003
Alywin said:
Black is truly an inexpensive source of crushing blow, but when the ubers are down to around 1/2 to 1/4 life, you need a high damage weapon to finish them off. I suppose a "black" zerker or whatever elite weapon cannot do that. I personally just use one of the unique legendary mallet, the stone crusher, which should be cheap enough. I suppose Heaven's Light, one of the unique mighty scepter, if fairly socketed, should also do well.

For shield, if you choose the way as zealot, I recommend you to use HoZ. You don't need to worry about the chance of triggering life tap curse without exile (I don't have one actually - too poor : P), if you bring a wand or dagger with life tap charges to use on them initially. Your draculs suffices to trigger subsequent curses, if you zeal.

AR is not a problem to me, as I use quite some +skill items and charms so that my fanatism and zeal are Lv33. I choose Mara + Raven Frost (a must for CBF, unless you are rich enough to CHAM some armour) + any other ring depending on your target (Dwarf Star, Wisp Projector, Good rare ring). I never use Angelic's set for AR personally. But this depends on your overall equipment.

Finally, resist, resist, resist. Your equipment now seem to lack resistance.

I have just 10% PDR to deal with the ubers. I don't see it is a must.

Good luck.

I'm also thinking I might be a bit overboard w/ the PDR... Duriels shell might be the best choice for affordable armor. Good res and can't be frozen. I'm thinking this will be the way to go for now?

I'm also going to get ahold of some UM's so I can up my res more by socketing. About to pick up a Highlords Ammy, so that'll help w/ Light res a ton.

And I picked up a HOZ 183% last night! So I've got my sheild covered now.

Weapon still up in the air. Thinking Stormlash for now if I can find one. Just one Lo away from Grief, sighs.

Update on Equip for Ladder:

Helm = Guill Face Um'd

Sheild = HoZ

Ammy = Highlords

Armor = Shaft for now/ Gonna try and get Duriel Shell?

Boots = Gorerider/Goblin Toes, not sure which to pick

Gloves = Draculs

Belt = String of Ears

Rings = Rare res rings

Wep = ?? Only thing I don't have yet.

I've decided on using the build from Pogue's guide. A hybrid zealer/smiter. I honestly think I'll be able to solo the uber's and might even have my first Hellfire w/in a week, which would be huge on ladder! That equipment is definitely sufficient right guys? Just need to work on res?

barbowns

Dec 9, 2003
arcticknight said:
i hate you alot...just kiddin. great job collecting the gear. only a devoted mfer could come up with great gear like that so quickly. gj!!!!!!

Hehe, thanks bud. I've gotten really good Hell Meph drops and run into some VERY good luck trading. Got an IST for Nat armor, for example =)

I hope all this work will pay off. Most of my online friends are telling me even w/ that gear I'll be dead in 20 secs. =(

MoonUnit

Jul 21, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Well you should be ok with that gear, If I had to pick a weapon i would go with stormlash...cb and static + super fast. lol I kinda turned my pvp charge/smiter into a uber killer, mass stacked res so he has 75+all with mephie's conv, only 15 cb but he gets the job does :cool:

EDIT: bah forget that he only has 1.2K hp w/ no bo. as long as tap goes off and you HIT, you will be fine

Nov 6, 2003
There are so many threads on the equipment used for this part of the game guys..please just look instead of making new threads. It saves you time and keeps the forum a bit more organized :)

barbowns

Dec 9, 2003
I know everyone says this, but I did research. I like how this thread helped guide my "work in process" pally uber owner.

UPDATE:

Just traded for a heaven's light scepter. +3 skills, 2os, 282%ed

I think I'm all set except for my rings and charms! And lvl's of course, still at 48ish. But he is only about 36 hours old so far. Tonight = an all nighter.

One last question... for the sockets. 2x shael? Ideas/opinions?

This guy will be a smealot. Zeal groups/smite the big fellas.

dave

Jun 22, 2003
Copenhagen
im also building a smealot on new ladder. He has much the same gear as yours (dracs, guill, gores) ...dont have hoz/highlords yet though.

My plans for his final gear is:
Guill
Dracs
Verdungo
Duress (cheap and much better than shaft/duriels if u got cbf from raven imo)
Gores
Raven
Some rare ring with nice res
Highlords
HoZ
'Black' Flail/Knout/Scourge for smite
'Oath' eth Zerker/Cryptic Sword for zeal (really nice dmg/speed and pretty cheap)
and finally loads and loads of res charms :)

I havent tried this in trist but it looks ok to me