• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

"4% mana stolen per hit" ... 4% of what?

rogermw

Aug 12, 2005
Silicon Valley, CA
www.rogermwilcox.name
"4% mana stolen per hit" ... 4% of what?

Hi all,

My barbarian has two of rare weapons with a power described as "4% mana stolen per hit".

The problem is, hits scored while wielding one of the weapons recharge his mana very quickly, while hits scored while wielding the other weapon recharge his mana much more slowly.

So, when it says "4%" mana stolen per hit, 4% of what, precisely, is being stolen? 4% if his current mana level? 4% of his maximum mana? 4% of the monster's mana? 4% of the monster's life points? 4% of the damage points inflicted with each hit? What?

mannyfresh

Aug 11, 2005
canada
If you want numbers, for every 100 damage you deal you gain 4 points of mana. So if you deal 1000 damage with one sword and 500 with another you will gain 40 and 20 mana respectively :D

Hacknshoot

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
But only with physical damage. So, if you do a complete max- all phys, and all elemtal damage- 1000 damage with a Baranar's Star(dude, who would do THAT little damage? I think you would do more than 1000 with just minimun strength, but either way.), you only do 400 points of physical, as the star adds 1-200 damage for fire, lightning, and cold each. So that's 16 mana back to you.

rogermw

Aug 12, 2005
Silicon Valley, CA
www.rogermwilcox.name
Elgar said:
It is 4% of physical damage dealt
That would explain it, all right.

I use the Barbarian's "Concentrate" skill with each weapon (mana cost = 2 per attack).

The first weapon is a morningstar that does something like 30-100 physical damage per strike when I use it with Concentrate. This weapon recharges my mana just about as fast as I spend it, so I can literally use Concentrate on every attack and never run out of mana.

The second weapon, though, is a scimitar that does considerably less physical damage per strike when I use it with Concentrate. If I use Concentrate on every attack with this scimitar, I run out of mana pretty quickly. (This weapon also does a tiny amount of additional Cold damage per hit, but from what you've told me this will NOT add to the amount of damage he gets to steal 4% mana from.)

Myrakh-2

Jun 23, 2004
flyff.cable.nu
In general, weapon-based character want to get enough mana leech to keep their mana full. Life-leech, which works the same way for the other bulb, doesn't have such a "limit".

There's also some other factors that affect the mana leech: those 4% are based on the actual damage dealt. Simple example: get a big damage weapon and hit a Fallen in A1 normal Bloodmoor. You aren't going to do 1000 damage to him because he only has something like 10 hitpoints or so.

Monsters can have physical resistance, which reduces the damage dealt and the mana leeched back.

Monsters also have a "leech resistance" --- some monsters can be leeched better than others. Some monsters can't be leeched at all (basically "leech immune" :)), unless you put Life Tap on them.

Hacknshoot

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Myrakh-2 said:
Monsters also have a "leech resistance" --- some monsters can be leeched better than others. Some monsters can't be leeched at all (basically "leech immune" :)), unless you put Life Tap on them.

More in Hell mode and Skeleton-class creatures on the leech resist thing: Skeletons can NEVER be leeched from, but most other types(mummies, zombies, etc., but excluding the evil exploding midget dudes that I despise almost as much as maphack) are leech-vulnerable. In Nm, most leechs are cut to 66%, and in Hell, to 33%.

Twoflower

Banned
May 22, 2004
also note that efects that increase phisical damage taken ( not damage made ) ( like amplify damage curse from necro ) also increase your leech

RTB

Jun 21, 2003
Dimension of Numbers
Hacknshoot said:
More in Hell mode and Skeleton-class creatures on the leech resist thing: Skeletons can NEVER be leeched from, but most other types(mummies, zombies, etc., but excluding the evil exploding midget dudes that I despise almost as much as maphack) are leech-vulnerable. In Nm, most leechs are cut to 66%, and in Hell, to 33%.
Unless you have life tap on them. In NM, the leech percentage is first halved, then the total life/mana leeched by 0 - 25%. In hell, the leech percentage is divided by 3, and the total life/mana leeched is reduced by 0 - 50%, with 33% being the most common reduction.