There’s always a lot of debate and discussion within the community on how best to monetise Diablo. Blizzard is now looking at how that can be done with this new Diablo 4 Job Opening for a Director/Senior Director, Business Performance.
Whether it’s new DLC or cosmetic items, it certainly looks like Blizzard wants to keep updates flowing for Diablo 4. They are classing it as one of those game “service” models which does suggest regular updates to keep players engaged. That should in effect mean more than just Seasons. The current Diablo update format is getting a little tired so something new to shake it up would be welcomed by players I’m sure.
Whether it’s cosmetics for sale, new classes, or even new zones depending on the DLC model, it will be a challenge to find the right balance. At least the job does mention the word “ethical” for whatever model they decide on eventually.
Blizzard Entertainment is a community of 4,000 global employees who are passionate about not only gaming but entertainment and the technology that drives our player experience.
We are on a quest to find a legendary Director/Senior Director, Business Performance who is a master of their craft to support the Diablo franchise. The ideal candidate will partner with the design leadership to define and execute the Diablo IV business model and post-launch live service approach and support other franchise topics. Importantly, they will have a deep understanding of and empathy for our players because they are a player themselves.
The Director/Senior Director, Business Performance functions as a team lead, manages the end-to-end lifecycle of a game spanning multiple feature areas and collaborates with the game team on roadmap planning.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We have transitioned to a work-from-home model and we are continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Build the capability to provide the right information, on time to support short- and long-term decision making for the direction of the Diablo franchise
- Manage the post-launch business service for Diablo IV to drive acquisition, retention, and monetization while maintaining a healthy community
- Define, coordinate, and execute in and out of game activities and events (e.g., pricing and promotions); propose compelling features to improve engagement, retention, and monetization; and report out on performance
- Establish goals and KPIs to measure player base health and business performance. Monitor and escalate potential issues and share performance data with development, publishing, and commercial leadership
- Identify discreet player segments and develop or propose initiatives to address them
- Create, maintain, and optimize ethical monetization models that maximize long-term franchise revenue
- Track player life cycle and acquisition funnel and execute initiatives to grow the player base
- Work with commercial, publishing and development teams to develop SKU and content strategies (in and out of game)
- Collaborate with production to ensure events and initiatives are executed successfully in game
- Increase the repeatability of our successes by sharing best practices and lessons learned with other game teams and bring the best of Blizzard to Diablo
- Passion for the business of games, especially RPGs/ARPGs/MMOs
- Deep knowledge in the key performance metrics that drive game performance
- 8+ years of experience including product management, live ops performance, or monetization design
- Experienced manager with a history of guiding high performers to do their best work
- Data-driven decision maker with intellectual humility and a passion for testing
- A leader by influence who is excited to pitch in and help
- Collaborative problem solver, structured and organized thinker, excellent written and verbal communications
- Excellent interpersonal skills to manage complex projects with diverse stakeholders all over the world (disciplines, regions, etc.)
- Integrity, excellent judgment, and discretion