Act 3: Lam Esen’s Tome
- Quest Name: Lam Esen’s Tome
- Triggered by: Completing Quest Two, or entering the Ruined Temple
- Given by: Alkor
- Location: Ruined Temple in the Kurast Bazaar
- Rewards: Five stat points
- Quest Priority: Not required, but most do it to get the bonus stat points.
Alkor will tell you that there is a special book (Lam Esen’s Tome) written long ago by a sage known as Lam Esen that may hold valuable information about how to battle the evil that is now engulfing the land. You must recover it.
This quest is optional, and can be quite dangerous, but has a nice reward. The game tells you to search the temples beneath the Kurast Bazaar, Upper Kurast and The Kurast Causeway. You don’t need to do this, the temple with the book is always the Ruined Temple, and it’s always in the Kurast Bazaar. There are two temples in the Bazaar, one is the Disused Fane, and the other is the Ruined Temple. You’ll see the name once you click the stairs, and you need only enter the Ruined Temple.
The book will be inside it, past a Super Unique Corrupted Rogue boss Sarina the Battlemaid. She is always extra fast, and there will be a lot of other monsters in the temple, and usually at least one other random boss monster, all in a very small area, so be careful.
Know the correct Ruined Temple, in Kurast Bazaar, the others aren’t necessary to do. The temple (and the other five in the area) are very full of monsters and worth a lot of experience and potential items, but they are very dangerous owing to the cramped nature of them. You can quite often get a deadly stair trap where there will be a boss monster pack on the screen when you enter, and you’ll be totally swarmed and perhaps die before the level even finishes loading. Do not do this quest with a Hardcore character unless you have minions to protect you or are feeling very lucky. The quest isn’t hard if you don’t get swarmed at the entrance, but you never know if you will or not. Party with a Necromancer or a Druid, or at least get some huge hit points character like a Barb or a Druid to go down first. Even then, you can be in Act Four soon, with more monsters and better items and experience, so it’s not really worth the risk.
There are almost always Meteor-firing Dark Lords in the Ruined Temple, so be sure your fire resistance is up to the task.
You don’t need to kill anything in the Ruined Temple, just get the book and return it to Alkor, but it’s very cramped down there, so teleporting around with a Sorceress to get the book and leave is quite dangerous.
- It pains me to waste time with you, so I’ll get right to the point.
- There is a very special book which you must find for me. It was written long ago by a sage known as Lam Esen, who studied Skatsimi magic and the effects of the Prime Evils on the mortal world. The Black Book was lost when the Children of Zakarum took over this land.
- Now, you must reclaim it without delay! Its knowledge may aid us in this dark time ahead.
- The Black Book contains powerful secrets of Skatsim, the Old Religion, long eclipsed by Zakarum.
- I should warn you. The Black Book is much sought after by both good and evil. Be wary.
- Many things can be found in the city of Kurast. The book may be there.
- The Black Book is a powerful source of information. The Zakarum will do everything in their power to stop you from obtaining it.
- We have long sought the Black Book of Lam Esen. Rumors of its whereabouts spread as fast as jungle plagues. If you find it, take it to Alkor.
- Oh. No one really believes that the Black Book exists. It’s just a symbol of Zakarum’s anti-Skatsim propaganda.
- I’ve heard of the Black Book. My Order’s code is based on many of its passages. If you find it, I will be greatly impressed.
- The Children of Zakarum believe that the Black Book is filled with blasphemous heresy. In truth, the book may contain the secrets to our ultimate redemption.
- Did I neglect to mention that the book contains useful information about the Prime Evils?
- I believe I can trust you now.
- When you first arrived, I suspected you a spy for the Zakarum, the false religion whose faithful are now under the sway of a mysterious power. They’ve made a mockery of the Old Religion of Skatsim.
- I heard that there are ruined temples in Kurast. Perhaps you will find the Black Book in one of them.
- Not getting much help?
- You know, people are like rugs. Hang them out a window and shake ’em a couple times. You’ll be surprised how much dirt comes out.
- Kurast was once the greatest city in the world. Now it is hard to tell where the jungle stops and the city begins. The jungle grows rampant on the soil enriched by the blood of my fellow citizens.
- I hope you find the Black Book soon. I could use something to read while I wait for my orders.
- Even if you find the sacred Book, you must still traverse the jungle of meaning within it. That journey could prove to be far more perilous.
- You have found the Book! It should give all of us here some insight into the nature of the Prime Evils…
- Ah, but as for you…
- The Iron Wolves are very impressed by your skills.
- You have found a source of information powerful enough to turn the tide against the Zakarum.
- We have the Book. Now we must see if we can bear its revelations.
- Thank all that’s holy. You’ve returned with the Black Book! Maybe now you can put an end to the Evil that has destroyed my homeland.
- So, you’ve returned with the Book. You surprise me. You must be very resourceful.
- Why is the Black Book of Lam Esen like a coffin? Simple. Each holds the shape of our future.